Your browser does not support script
Baccalieu Trail Heritage Corporation |Home|Community Connections|Search|About Us|Visitor Information|Artifacts & Features|Whats Happening

> People & Terms
> Timeline
> Journal Entries & Letters

> New Discoveries
> Other Places
> Panoramas

New Discoveries

There are currently 28 entries
Page 5 of 6


Date: Mar. 10th '06
Time:
Title: The 1610 Enclosure
21.jpg
Entry:
Excavations at Cupids Uncover Evidence of the 1610 Enclosure

In a letter dated May 16, 1611, John Guy reported that the colonists at Cupers Cove had built “a Storehouse to hold our provisions and a dwelling house for our habitation, which was finished about the first of December [1610], with a square inclosure of one hundred and twenty foot long and ninety foot broad compassing these two houses...”. By the spring of 1613, at least 16 structures (including a workhouse, a brew house, a saw mill and a fort) were standing at Cupers Cove and, while we now know that other buildings also once stood inside the enclosure, the only two specifically mentioned by Guy are the dwelling house and storehouse.

We discovered the dwelling house in 1995 and the adjoining storehouse in 1997. Since then both of these buildings and a number of related features have been excavated. In 2002 we uncovered a 20 inch (51 cm) wide builders’ trench running along the northern boundary of the site and in 2003 we found the base of a two foot (61 cm) wide stone wall extending west just beyond this trench (see photo below). That same year we found two 10 inch (25 cm) wide postholes eighteen feet (5.5 m) east of the storehouse and last year (2005) we uncovered another two 10 inch wide postholes eighteen feet south of the dwelling house. The two posts south of the dwelling house are six feet (1.82 m) apart at the centres and form a line that runs parallel to the south end of the dwelling. The two located east of the storehouse are eight feet (2.43 m) apart at the centres and form a line running northeast at a 105 degree angle to the line formed by the other two.

There can be little doubt that the stone wall and trench running along the northern boundary of the site are part of the enclosure erected in 1610 and, while two posts do not necessarily make a wall, the size, location and orientation of the postholes found so far suggest that they were probably part of the enclosure as well. During the 2006 field season we will be conducting further excavations to see if we can find evidence of more posts.

The outline on the map above was produced by extending the lines established by these features and combining this with data recovered during excavations and test pitting. The map shows the probable outline of the enclosure (in yellow) and how it relates to the buildings already excavated (also in yellow), the buildings currently standing in the area (in grey), and the surrounding topography. The West Brook is shown following the course it would have followed before it was diverted a number of years ago. Much of the land north of Sea Forest Drive is man-made. In 1610, and for many years thereafter, the salt water would have extended south at least as far as the present day road. While further excavations may result in some changes, the outline of the enclosure shown here should be fairly accurate and provides us with important information on which to base further excavations and research.

If these features are part of the original enclosure then they also provide important clues has to how the enclosure was built. Clearly part of the north wall, facing the harbour, was of stone construction while the substantial trench extending east from the stone wall suggests that this portion of the enclosure (also facing the harbour) may have been built by placing posts side by side in the ground similar to the way nineteenth-century American forts are often depicted. In the letter quoted above Guy also talks about mounting guns “upon a platforme made of great posts and rails and great Poles sixteene foot long set upright around about” but this appears to have been separate from the enclosure.

The size and spacing of the posts to the east and south of the dwelling house and storehouse indicate that in this area the enclosure wall was probably of post and rail construction. This technique was often used in building seventeenth-century wooden defence works. Horizontal rails ran between the main supporting posts and vertical planks, or pales, were fastened to the rails to create a continuous, solid wall. Often the pales were sharpened at the top to further deter unwanted visitors. A distance of six to eight feet between the supporting posts would have been fairly common. A description of this type of fortification from 1622 states that the posts should be seven feet apart and that the pales should be seven feet high. The pales used at Cupers Cove, and the wall of which they were a part, were probably about the same height.

Of course, the enclosure is only one part of a larger site. In addition to the structures already mentioned Guy says that by May 1611 the colonists had erected two saw pits, a workhouse and a forge and that they had almost finished “ a farre greater and fairer house then that which as yet we dwell in”. As mentioned above, at least sixteen buildings were standing at Cupers Cove by the spring of 1613 and more were almost certainly added after that. Exactly where all of these building stood is as yet unknown but we do know that the site extends west and northwest beyond the walls of the enclosure.





Date: Feb. 10th '06
Time:
Title: Base of Stone Wall at Cupids
22.jpg
Entry:
Uncovering the Base of the Stone Wall on the North Side of the Enclosure at Cupids.




Date: Oct. 30th '05
Time:
Title: Silver One Real from New Perlican
19.jpg
Entry:
October 30, 2005

Excavations End at New Perlican for Another Season/Spanish American Silver Coin Found

Excavations at New Perlican have finished for another season. This past Friday (October 28) we began to backfill the site and we will be returning tomorrow (October 31) to finish backfilling and to secure the site for the winter. Our work this season has been very rewarding with both Area C and Area D producing a wide range of material.

One of the more significant artifacts recovered from the seventeenth-century pit in Area C was a Spanish American silver one real coin manufactured in Potosi in what is now Bolivia. The shield of Castile and Leon in Spain can be seen on the obverse side of the coin with the Castilian Loin clearly visible in the lower left hand quarter (see image above). Part of the Latin motto “PLVS VLTRA” can be seen on the reverse side of the coin (see image below). This motto was adopted by the Spanish monarchy in the sixteenth century and refers to the Spanish colonies in the New World. The ‘P’ below the ‘R’ is the mark of the Potosi mint.

Photos of the coin along with its weight and measurements were sent to Paul Berry, Curator of the Canadian Currency Museum at the Bank of Canada. According to Paul, although coins of this type were made from 1652 until the late 1760s, this coin probably dates to the 1650s. What appears to be a letter ‘E’ can be seen above the ‘R’ on the reverse. This is probably the mark of Antonio de Ergueta the assayer who worked at Potosi between 1651 and 1678. The numeral ‘3' can also be seen below the ‘V’ on the reverse of the coin where the date would normal be located. This suggests that the date of the coin may be 1653.

Because the Spanish American silver mines were so productive during this period, Spanish American coins were common in the English colonies in the seventeenth century. When we first found the coin we thought that it had been clipped but, according to Paul, the unusual shape is typical of Spanish American “cob” coins from this period.





Date: Oct. 30th '05
Time:
Title: Silver One Real (Reverse)
20.jpg
Entry:





Date: Oct. 20th '05
Time:
Title: Elizabethan Thruppence from New Perlican
18.jpg
Entry:
October 20, 2005

Excavations Continue at New Perlican/Elizabethan Thruppence Found.

Excavations ended for this year at Cupid on September 23 and we moved on to New Perlican to conduct further excavations at the Hefford Plantation site. This season we have been working in two different parts of the site: Area C and Area D.

Area C is located in the southwest corner of the site near the edge of the bank above the beach. Last year we uncovered part of a rubble filled, seventeenth-century pit here and this year we have continued excavating this pit. At this point roughly two thirds of the pit has been excavated down to a layer of burnt timbers located below the rubble. The pit is ten feet wide and roughly three feet deep and appears to have been part of a building that burnt sometime late in the seventeenth century.

Area D is located on the western side of the site between a bedrock outcrop to the east and the bank above the beach to the west. It appears to have been a popular spot to have a smoke in the late seventeenth century. The area is producing a wide range of artifacts but by far the most common items recovered from Area D are clay tobacco pipe stems and bowls. Hundreds of pipe stems and dozens of bowls have been recovered from an area measuring roughly 3m x 3m. Located in the lee of the bedrock outcrop and with an excellent view of the harbour, Area D would have been an ideal place for a seventeenth-century smoke break.

All of the pipe bowls recovered to date appear to date from between roughly 1670 and 1700 but some of the other artifacts are of an earlier date. These include a small copper thimble from the first half of the seventeenth century and an Elizabethan silver thruppence (three pence) bearing the date 1573. Given the context in which they were found, it seems likely that these objects were lost around the same time that the pipes were discarded: the coin had clearly been in circulation for a long time and the thimble could have been in someone’s possession for many years. However, it is also possible that these artifacts may relate to an earlier chapter in the history of New Perlican.





[First Page] [Prev] Viewing page 5 of 6 [Next] [Last Page]