Your browser does not support script
Baccalieu Trail Heritage Corporation |Home|Community Connections|Search|About Us|Visitor Information|Artifacts & Features|Whats Happening

> People & Terms
> Timeline
> Journal Entries & Letters

> New Discoveries
> Other Places
> Panoramas

††

Cupids Cove Plantation Provincial Historic Site
During 2016 the Cupids Cove Plantation PHS will be open seven days a week, between 9:30 am and 5:00 pm, up to and including October 8th. A tour takes at least 30 minutes, so plan to be there by 4:30 pm at the latest. You can contact the Cupids Cove Plantation at 709-528-1413. School and other group tours of the site and the Cupids Legacy Centre can be arranged by phoning 709-528-1610.


Dildo Island/Andersonís Cove
An exhibit on the aboriginal occupation of Dildo Island and the surrounding area, including Anderson's Cove, is on display at the Dildo and Area Interpretation Centre on the Main Road in Dildo. The Centre also includes many displays and artifacts related to the later history of Dildo and area. Andersonís Cove is about a 2 km walk from the Centre. During 2016 the Centre will be open seven days a week between July 1st and September 2nd, from 10 am to 5 pm Private tours can also be arranged throughout the year by calling 709-582-2687.


New Perlican
A small exhibit on the Hefford Plantation, including some of the artifacts recovered from the site, is currently on display at the town hall in New Perlican. The hall is open Monday to Thursday from 8 am to 4 pm and on Fridays from 8 am to 2 pm. Visitors are welcome. This year the exhibit will also be open during the Annual New Perlican Heritage Day on Saturday, July 9 from 1 pm to 5 pm and Sunday July 10 from 1 pm to 4 pm. The Hefford Plantation is located on private land just north of the bridge in New Perlican behind the Fred Grant Memorial Building.

Hikers should also check out the DíIberville Coastal Hiking Trail which retraces the route followed by DíIberville from the Sugarloaf in Winterton, through New Perlican and on to Heartís Content during his attack on the English Shore in the winter of 1697. In New Perlican the trail can be accessed at either Garlop Point or Jeanís Head.


Russellís Point
Russell's Point is located behind Russell's Ultramar in Blaketown. It is just a five minute drive north from the TransCanada Highway at Whitbourne and a ten minute drive south from the Dildo and Area Interpretation Centre. People can visit the site at Russell's Point and view the history boards at any time. More information on the Beothuk and the other aboriginal groups who inhabited this part of Trinity Bay can be found at the Dildo and Area Interpretation Centre.


Winterton
The Wooden Boat Museum of Newfoundland and Labrador is located in Winterton, just a short drive north of New Perlican. The museum includes many artifacts from Wintertonís past including the William Lincefild headstone. Pinhornís Room is located between the museum and the beach.

Images above (left†to right)†1. Visitors†at the†Cupids site, 1995. 2. Visitors†at the†Cupids site, 2005.