|Baccalieu Trail Heritage Corporation|||Home|Community Connections|Search|About Us|Visitor Information|Artifacts & Features|Whats Happening|
|Date: Oct. 16th '13|
|The BBC Coast Crew and the Archaeology Crew After the Flag Raising.|
A fine looking crowd if ever there was one!
|Date: Oct. 16th '13|
|The Coast Crew Filming the Flag Raising at Cupids on 16 October, 2013|
According to Cupids Mayor Harold Akerman, when fully unfurled, this is the largest Union Jack in the world.
|Date: Nov. 30th '12|
|Commemorating the Voyage of the Indeavour|
November 30, 2012
The fall of 2012 marks the 400 anniversary of the voyage of the bark Indeavour, the first decked, ocean-going vessel known to have been built in Canada. Constructed at Cupids over the winter of 1610-1611, in the fall of 1612 she carried John Guy, Henry Crout, and twelve other colonists on a voyage of discovery into Trinity Bay. Alongside her sailed another five colonists in a shallop. The main purpose of the voyage was to meet and establish friendly relations with the Beothuk with whom the colonists hoped to develop a fur trade. The voyage is well documented: both Guy and Crout kept journals and Crout later wrote a letter in which he described the voyage.
|Date: Nov. 16th '11|
|Observation Deck Under Construction at Cupids|
November 15, 2011, 4PM
Observation Deck Under Construction at Cupids
Construction is currently underway on an observation deck at the Cupids Cove Plantation Provincial Historic Site. Starting in 2012, visitors to the site will be able to follow a 240 metre long path up the hill just south of the plantation and take in the spectacular view of Cupids and the surrounding area.
This photo shows the observation deck under construction (centre right) and Cupids Harbour with Port de Grave in the distance as it looked at 4pm on November 10, 2011.
|Date: Oct. 12th '10|
|'Ghost Structure' at the Cupids Cove Plantation Site|
October 12, 2010 10:45 a.m.
"Ghost Structure" Erected at the Cupids Cove Plantation
It’s been a busy year at the Cupids Cove Plantation Site. In fact, our crew has been busy with site development work and the Cupids 400 celebrations since early April. Now things are finally starting to return to normal after what has been an extremely successful summer.
One of our major projects this year has been the erection of a volumetric reconstruction or ‘ghost structure’ above the site of the original dwelling house and storehouse built by John Guy’s party in the autumn of 1610 and excavated by us between 1995 and 1998. Enough remained of these buildings to allow us to determine their layout and the reconstruction, which stands on a platform of 2 x 10 planks rising two feet (61cm) above those remains, follows that original layout. Visitors can walk through the ghost structure and get a better sense of what the oldest English dwelling house and storehouse in Canada would have looked like in their original setting.
The plank platform on which the structure is erected provides added protection for the remains of the buildings - sections of the burnt wooden floor secured beneath layers of polyfoam and sand remain undisturbed below the platform - while allowing visitors to better view other parts of the original buildings including the remains of the 1610 cellar, cobble-and-flagstone floor and fireplace.
The site will remain open to visitors this year until Friday, October 15th. However, tours of the site can be arranged by appointment until November 5th by calling 709-528-3500.