Spectacle Head is a high promontory on the north side of the entrance to
Cupids Harbour. The name goes back to at least 1613. On January 25 of that
year Henry Crout recorded that "this daie was ... the harbour so farr as
the Spectacles [frozen over] as also all the harbour from Salmon Cove unto
the Spectacles was frozen".
This panorama shows the view from Spectacle Head going from northwest
through east to southwest. To the northwest you can see the pastureland on
the ridge between Cupids and Salmon Cove; to the north is Bay de Grave,
Port De Grave and the north side of Conception Bay; to the east is the
entrance to Bay de Grave and Cupids Harbour; and to the south is Cupids
No one knows for sure when the stone cairn on top of Spectacle Head was
erected. Some say it may have been a survey marker built by Captain James
Cook when he mapped Newfoundland in the 1760s.
Please wait. Loading....